MCi microwave components for medical imaging and radiation therapy are developed for use in medical linear accelerators (LINACs). Micro Communications (MCi) delivers exacting, precise and reliable microwave components in waveguide, coaxial and ultra-high vacuum (UHV) compatible configurations.
From phase shifters, vacuum windows, and variable power dividers – to circulators, isolators and loads – MCi manufactures an array microwave components to support our clients with their endeavors in medical imaging (X-ray), oncotherapy, radiation therapy and other research.
When extreme accuracy, ultra-reliability, and meticulous design are critical to the application – trust in the team at MCi to deliver. Our microwave components are diligently tested to guarantee worry-free, long-term, superior performance in medical imaging and radiation therapy applications.
Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy: Product Capabilities
MCi manufacturers both standard and custom microwave components, with the ability to design components for high vacuum environments. Innovative custom solutions are our specialty. We fabricate intricate shapes, incorporate uncommon materials (such as alumina, sapphire and quartz) and offer a wide range of solutions for elevated power levels.
Our capabilities for medical linear accelerator microwave products include:
- Complete line of waveguide and components for S-Band, C-Band and X-Band
- Full complement of flange configurations, compatible with a variety of interfaces
- ISO Class 5 Clean Room: brazing, assembling, cleaning, vacuum testing UHV components
- Advanced microwave engineering & product development team
- Partnership with Ferrite Microwave Technologies product line – circulators, isolators, loads
- Partnership with Mega Industries product line – phase shifters, windows, ultra-high vacuum
- Specializing in 2.45 GHz and 2.998 GHz microwave components
- Client base of world-leading OEM’s of PET and CT scanners
- Ultrasonic cleaning techniques used for three stage chemical cleaning
Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy: Focus Areas
The medical imaging, radiation therapy, and cancer research fields are expanding at an encouraging rate. As medical physicists and engineers continue to pioneer new methods to treat tumors, our advanced engineering team regularly develops new microwave products, specific to the needs of clinical linear accelerator systems.
For many of our partners, their systems produce high-energy x-rays for use in external beam radiation, delivering treatments for patients with cancer. The ultimate goal is to engage microwave energy in a way that has potential to destroy cancer cells. Our passive components are a part of the remarkable effort to battle cancer, disease and injuries across the globe.
The research and practice focus areas for medical imaging and radiation therapy include:
• Linear Accelerator (LINAC) Science
• Clinical Linear Accelerator (CLINAC) Science
• Particle Accelerator Science
• Oncotherapy Science
• Medical Resonance Imaging (MRI)
• Proton Therapy Science
• Radiation Therapy (Radiotherapy)
• Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scanning
• Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning
Here at Micro Communications, we understand that doctors and patients are counting on imaging systems to diagnose injuries, cancers and diseases. Given the critical nature of this application, we rigorously test microwave components that perform in sophisticated environments, such as a CLINAC, or other medical apparatus.
MCi has proven its dual expertise in both manufacturing and engineering capabilities to meet the reliability, hermeticity and professional standards demanded by the medical accelerator industry.
Microwave Techniques: Components for Oncotherapy
Resultant of the 2020 Mega, Ferrite and MCi merger, the team at Microwave Techniques offers an expanded product line for the medical therapy marketplace, most notably with the addition of circulators and isolators.
Typically, the components we manufacture for medical practice tend to be around the S-Band (WR284), C-Band (WR137) and X-Band (WR90) operating frequency bands.
At Microwave Techniques, we have the lowest loss S-Band isolators (available in 3-Port and 4-Port configurations) in the industry. Recently, we’ve developed new products for the C-Band linear accelerators, and are now in field trials. Uniquely, we are the only company designing and manufacturing above resonance X-Band (WR90) isolators for the medical accelerator marketplace.
To discuss your specific RF or microwave project, or to learn about product development for medical imaging, oncotherapy or research – please, contact us.